Although truck driving may not be the ideal fit for all, the opportunities and benefits of becoming a professional truck driver are endless. The truck driving industry is constantly changing and rapidly growing. Meaning truck drivers are and will always be in high demand. If job security is included in your dream job, becoming a professional truck driver may be the perfect fit for you!
So, I am sure you are wondering why YOU should become a truck driver?
Well, the answer to that is easy. There are many great pros of becoming a professional truck driver. For example, traveling the world, job security, seeing different states, awesome benefits, and not to mention, amazing pay. Sounds pretty great, huh?
But don’t get too ahead of yourself, before you start daydreaming of your truck driving days, there are a few simple steps you need to take in order to earn your CDL license and land your first official truck driving job!
9 Steps to Get Your CDL License:
1. Read over the CDL License requirements for your state
- Typical requirements for all states include a minimum age, background check, and physical requirements. Some states may have additional requirements, so be sure to read the specifics for the state you live in.
2. Head to the license branch and snag that CDL permit! (depending on the state, could be done at training)
- Think of it as being 15 again and driving for the first time, except slightly larger machines. For most states, the written test will include questions on: General Knowledge, Combination Vehicles, and Air Brakes.
4. Talk with one of our friendly recruiters here at Driver Solutions and get yourself set up at the closest campus location.
- While speaking with the recruiter, you will be pre-qualified for a job opportunity once you graduate.
5. Prepare to fill your brain with all the necessary CDL information needed as your class start date approaches.
6. Head to your first day of class. Get pumped, you are about to start your journey to becoming a professional truck driver. Don’t worry, if you have to travel, we’ll pick up the hotel bill.
7. Learn so much on and off the road during your weeks of training that you are now considered a truck driving nerd.
- Finish your training and graduate.
8. Congrats grad, now go confidently pass that final CDL skills test and earn your license!
9. BEEP BEEP! IT’S TIME TO HIT THE OPEN ROAD!
At Driver Solutions, we know starting something new can be intimidating and unpredictable, but it can also be one of the most exciting times of your life! We are here to be the support you need and make sure the process to get your CDL license happens as smoothly and as quickly as possible. Starting with our A+ recruiters who are only one call away, to our experienced instructors who only want you to succeed, Driver Solutions is the top choice for anyone looking to start their truck driving career!
Still having some doubts? Here are some more posts to help you out:
Don’t see the information you’re looking for? Just complete our online application and a recruiter will be in touch with you directly.