When you first begin your career as a truck driver, it's likely that at some point you'll be in a team driving situation. Whether that be riding with your driver trainer or the type of trucking job that you ultimately choose - it's going to be helpful to know how to work as a team. There are a lot of advantages to team driving when compared to other types of driving jobs. One of the biggest advantages of team driving jobs is that it gives you and your partner the opportunity to run more miles at a time, and as a result - make more money.
Team Truck Driving Has It's Challenges
However, team driving jobs add a different wrinkle to an already challenging job as a truck driver. You have to learn how to not only get along and actually live with another person in a limited amount of space.
One way to certainly add to that challenge is if you’re married to the person next to you in your truck. As anyone who is married or has been married knows, it takes work and it's not always easy. BUT it CAN BE DONE! It can work and actually may bring you closer together.
Take a look at the video below as CJ and Bobby offer up their advice on how to make team truck driving work as a married couple. Keep in mind though that a lot of the bigger points can be applied to regular team drivers as well!
WATCH: Team Trucking TIps for Married Couples
5 Tips to Making A Marriage Work On The Road
- Chemistry - A key component in making any marriage work, but especially important when you’re in a truck together.
- Compromise - You need to make mutual decisions to go out on the road to avoid resenting each other. You don’t want to drag each other down on the road. That will start a trip off on the wrong foot.
- Organization - Assign tasks that each of you will take care of. That will help keep your truck clean and organized, as well as keep you in a routine while on the road.
- Keep a Sense of Humor - This will help keep the mood light and happy, especially when the job itself gets challenging.
- Communicate - Communication is key to avoiding conflict with your better half on the road. You need to be open and honest with one another, because there’s nowhere to go if you need to just get away to clear your head.
Team trucking jobs, especially when you’re married to your partner, can be extremely challenging at times. We hope these tips will help make your relationship work with your significant other while on the road. But a lot of these tips can be applied to a regular team truck driving job too! Do you have any suggestions for team truckers? We'd love to hear how you make it work!
Interested in a Career in Trucking? Apply Today!
Driver Solutions can help you get the CDL training you need to become a truck driver. Start your career now and you could be on the road making up to $50,000 in just the first year! Just take a few moments to complete our online driver application now.