Have you checked out our “State of Trucking 2017” infographic yet? In the report, we break down the current and future state of the trucking as we head into next year.
The rest of this post is dedicated into diving deeper into some of the topics we discussed. Specifically, we’re going to look at the truck driver shortage, and what companies are doing to combat it.
The truck driver shortage is one of the most pressing issues facing the industry today. By that, we mean that in 2014, the industry was already in need of 40,000 more drivers than what it currently employed.
That number is only expected to increase as general turnover rates continue and an aging workforce continues to leave for retirement. According to the American Trucking Association’s Truck Driver Shortage Analysis 2015, almost 50% of new drivers will be hired just to replace retiring drivers.
Part of the issue also stems from a lack of qualified drivers entering the workforce. To properly train aspiring drivers, companies are developing things like company sponsored CDL training programs. You can read more about these programs below...
Company Sponsored CDL Training
One thing companies are starting to do to help get people started in trucking is offer CDL training programs. They’re called company sponsored CDL training programs, where carrier companies will sponsor, or pay, for a truck driving student’s training tuition.
In exchange, a student will drive for that sponsor company for an agreed upon amount of time after completing CDL school (usually about 1 year).
The benefits of this kind of program are twofold: you get to train for your Class A CDL, AND you get the start and experience you need to have a long-lasting and successful career in trucking.
Improved Benefits and Career Opportunities
Companies are also looking into ways to improve employee benefits and career opportunities. For instance, PAM Transport offers benefits such as:
- 401(k) retirement savings plans
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Vacation time
- New Driver Guaranteed Pay
PAM Transport is also one of the industry leaders in offering various first year career opportunities for its drivers. In just their first year on the road, drivers can:
- Drive Team HazMat - your opportunity to haul Hazardous Material with a partner, helping to maximize your first year pay potential.
- Become a Driver Mentor - become a coach to new drivers as they hit the road. As a Driver Mentor, you’ll help new PAM drivers build upon their training by giving them “real world” experience. Driver Mentors are able to make more money and qualify for additional bonus opportunities.
- Become an Owner Operator - PAM Transport offers a lease-purchase program for drivers who want to run their own mini-business with a solid support system behind them.
Start Your Trucking Career Now
Driver Solutions can help you get the CDL training you need to become a truck driver. There are various career options available, and you could be on the road making up to $50,000 in just the first year with PAM Transport. Just take a few moments to complete our online driver application now.