Distracted drivers are dangerous drivers. Shaving, brushing teeth, reading the newspaper, etc...you name it and I bet a truck driver has seen someone doing it while driving. In order for you to be a safe driver, you must pay attention.
I mentioned some pretty crazy (yet realistic) distractions above, but the most common distractions while driving are:
- Cell phones - including texting while driving
- Daydreaming - how many times have you driven somewhere you go to regularly and not even remembered the drive?
- Raching for an item - this could be a phone charger, sunglasses or anything that causes you to lose focus and/or take your eyes off the road
When it comes to distracted driving, there are some pretty alarming statistics in the way of crashes:
- In 2010 2 out of 10 crashes resulting in injury were a result of distracted driving
- In that same year, 2010, 9 out of 10 FATAL crashes were contributed to distracted driving
While it's always easier to blame the big old semi truck and driver, but did you know that semi trucks are generally safer than cars AND they get in fewer accidents? That being said, a collision between a car and a large truck is more likely to be deadly due to the force caused from the weight of the larger truck which is the reason many people have a misconception about truck drivers.
We went to Facebook to ask some drivers about the crazy things they've seen while driving...